When we created our historic box sets we included some “easter eggs” hidden within the menu navigation structure. These were meant to be found either by accident or by determined individuals with hours and hours to kill searching every possible button combination. Amazingly all these have been found now, most notably by Anthony Napolitan who posted some up on his Instagram account in early 2017.
So here they all are. If you own any of the box sets you just unlocked some new content to watch!
Road Fools Box Set
1) Huffy Annihilator Jimmy LeVan section – Disc 1 > Road Fools 1 menu > Day 12 > Down > Enter
2) RF9 Jock Jams uncut – Disc 1 > Road Fools 9 menu > Day 5 > Down > Enter
Props Box Set
1) Poorboy 500 Miles – Disc 1 > Issue 5 popup menu > Credits > Right > Down
2) Rick Moliterno & Standard ESPN piece – Disc 1 > Issue 17 popup menu > Rick interview > Right > Enter
3) Schwinn American Muscle – Disc 1 > Issue 17 popup menu > Foster interview > Left > Enter
4) Nate Wessel Discovery short – Disc 1 > Issue 26 popup menu > Wessel interview > Right > Enter
5) FBM Albert Street – Disc 2 > Issue 37 popup menu > FBM jam > Left > Enter
6) Ride Network Heros – Disc 3 > Issue 62 popup menu > WI scene report > Left > Enter
7) Randy Forever – Disc 3 > Issue 69 popup menu > Taylor interview > Left > Enter
8) Aspire Brian Kachinsky – Disc 3 > Issue 70 popup menu > Kaching interview > Right > Enter
9) Etnies Forward – Disc 4 > Issue 72 popup menu > House check > Right > Enter
10) DK Damn Kids – Disc 4 > Issue 78 popup menu > DK trip > Left > Enter
Baco Box Set
1) Standard Style Cats – Extras > Deco Extras > Baco Extras > Right > Enter
We originally produced this as a 4 part series for the ESPN website in the summer of 2015 but we’re re-up’ing here with all parts together in case anyone missed it. Happy 51st birthday Rick!
Last year we visited Davenport, IA and shot an extensive interview with BMX legend and Standard co-founder Rick Moliterno. This 4 part mini-documentary series tells the story of Rick’s early beginnings, the founding of Standard Byke Company, a subsequent move to an in-house machine shop, a look at Rick’s current riding, thoughts on past and current team riders, what the future holds for Standard and much more.
Part 1: Moliterno discusses his rise through the pro ranks and the decision to start Standard Byke Co.
Part 2: Moliterno discusses the early innovations in BMX technology made through Standard Byke Co.
Part 3: Moliterno discusses his current relationship with riding, and enjoys a mini ramp session on his indoor ramp setup.
Part 4: Moliterno discusses what it takes to keep the Standard team going, and plans for the future with SBC.
In the summer of 2015 we had planned to shoot a video with Glenn Salyers and his girlfriend and fellow BMX’er Brooke Betancourt. Unfortunately Glenn died in a tragic motorcycle accident (it wasn’t his fault) before we could start shooting. About 2 months after the accident, Brooke mentioned she wanted to put together a mini-documentary about the whole ordeal, their relationship, her feelings and where she might go from here. Needless to say, we offered to help. The resulting documentary is called “Brooke’s Farewell”. RIP Glenn, only the good die young brother.
During the course of creating all the original artwork for the Props Box Set, we asked artist Eben Fischer to re-up an iconic sketch Taj Mihelich drew for the Best of 1997 VHS sleeve from nearly 20 years ago. We didn’t know what to expect from Eben, but were completely blown away by what he came back with.
This drawing is spread across the back covers of the 2 Blu-ray cases and the image is completed when the cases are put side by side.
Eben has little hidden details all throughout the different pieces of artwork he created for this project. For example, in his drawing above, the frame of the Bike Monster is a Taj. All 10 stickers from the Box Set sticker sheet are stuck on the TV.
When he designed artwork for the 5 discs in the set, he made the obstacles spell letters. They spell PROPS when put in a row.
We just added a new “Pay with Amazon” feature to the checkout process. Use your already existing Amazon.com account to quickly pay and skip entering in your payment info all over again. Look for the gold “Pay with Amazon” button on the cart or checkout pages.
We also added a SSL certificate to better secure the site.
Check out this nice little article by ESPN’s Brian Tunney about the Road Fools 1 re-mastering that’s going on! If you didn’t hear, we’re finally going to be releasing a complete Road Fools box set on Blu-ray with all the videos, RF 1-18 and the 2 Rock and Roll Tours.
Since the only master of the original Road Fools 1 is on analog S-VHS, the video is undergoing a complete re-edit and re-mastering from the source DV footage tapes to produce a native DV master for the box set.
We’re also putting together a Road Fools book, which will be available as a traditional coffee table print book and also as an interactive digital iBook version that will be available for download on iPads. All coming this year!